hey everyone... its been awhile... and a lot has been going on over here... i recently returned from an amazing 2 week vacation in France... and i had a fantastic time... the people, the sights, the food and wine... i can't wait to go back :)
i'll post some some pictures soon... but heres just one quick picture of me and my sister
the weather in maine has been very dreary lately.... rain and grey grey skies...not the type of weather that puts a smile on my face, and basically drains me of any and all energy... but i figured something like sunny sweet lemon bars would certainly brighten my day...
and they did :)
is there nothing better then a sweet shortbread crust and subtly sweet and tangy lemon filling...
for the crust: 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
for the lemon filling:
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon grated meyer lemon zest (3 to 4 lemons)
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2/3 cup flour
+ confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan
2. for the crust: cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
3. combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed
4. place the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball, then flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into the greased baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides
5. bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned... cool on a wire rack
6. for the lemon layer: whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour
7. pour over the crust and bake for about 22-25 minutes, or about five minutes beyond the point where the filling is set... then let cool to room temperature
8. cut into rectangles and dust with confectioners’ sugar
and now to wish my amazing hubby a very happy birthday :)
unfortunately he's underway right now... but he'll be home shortly and we can celebrate then... it's been a hectic few months as a family... not being together for more than a few days at a time really sucks, but soon enough we'll be together again...
and that is something i am really looking forward to :)
i love you hubby!!
happy baking everyone... and a very happy birthday to my hubs