i've been searching and searching for a long time for a awesome vanilla cake recipe, and like most of you out there, we have our fail-safe recipe, but we're still itching for one better... through my reading and searching of other fellow bloggers i came across this vanilla cake recipe from "lovin' from the oven" that peaked my interest... so... i pulled out my apron, tweaked the recipe to my liking and got to baking...
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 XL egg whites
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/8 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2. sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
3. in mixer, beat together melted butter and sugar until combined, then add egg whites and beat until mixture is smooth and light, and then stir in vanilla extract.
Salt caramel vanilla bean cream cheese frosting:
8 ozs. cream cheese softened
half of a vanilla bean, split
1/2 cup of homemade salt caramel
1-2 tbsp of heavy cream depending on how you want the consistency
2-3 cups depending on desired sweetness
1. place softened cream cheese in mixer fitted with paddle attachment, and cream
2. add in the vanilla bean seed and salt caramel, and blend in fully (dont you just love the vanilla bean specks!)
3. slowly add in your confectioners sugar, and if the frosting seems to thick, add heavy cream a little at a time
4. make sure to scrape down the sides of the mixer so everything is fully incorporated, frost and stuff your face!
jack sure did enjoy these ones...