whenever my boys make a baking request of me, i always smile and oblige... even when they make some oddball requests, i usually end up tweaking them a little to make them appetizing... but lucky for me, my little guy made asked for me to make something delicious... after watching an episode of curious george, he came running up to me with a big ol' grin on his face, asking "mommy, mommy! can we make an apposaws cake?!?" at first all i did was laugh at the adorableness of his question... then i asked him why he wanted an "apposaws" cake, (which is an applesauce cake by-the-way)... and he looked at me and said very matter-o-factly "because mom... superheros need their energy"... well, when he put it that way... hahahaha, this kid cracks me up...
luckily for him i actually had applesauce in the house, so... request grantedsmitten kitchen):
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon (i actually used a heaping teaspoon, maybe more)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1. preheat oven to 35o, and place oven rack in the middle... butter or grease a 8- or 9-inch square cake pan
2. whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices
3. beat the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes... add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in applesauce
4. at low speed, mix in flour mixture until just combined... the batter will look a little curdled and uneven but don’t worry, it will all bake up perfectly in the end
5. spread batter evenly in pan and bake until golden-brown and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes... then cool in pan 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, then invert onto a plate
this cake is amazing... moist, cinnamony, not too sweet... just a really good, simple cake... it's something that will defiantly maintain in my baking repertoire...
the little dude couldn't wait until dinner was over, he kept staring at it with a big smile... and then the smile got even bigger once he took a bite... look at that adorable and goofy powdered sugar grin!
have a great day guys... and as always happy baking!!