happy hump day people... i hope you are all enjoying your day... the weather is finally starting to brighten up here... and it's about gosh'darn time too!!! it's been raining on and off since saturday... and it has put me in a very blahh kind of mood... but the blue sky and the sun are pushing through the clouds, and pushing me to be more productive... and it's about time i got a little more productive with my blogging... so... thanks mr. blue sky for getting my tushie moving... (btw, i just had to stop myself from singing ELO's mr. blue sky... that's one catchy tune)
now, as i said earlier... i've been totally slacking in my blogging, but i haven't been slacking in my baking... i've been in my kitchen almost non-stop lately... and these beautiful sweeties, were made last week, actually the day before national doughnut day... i stumbled across this recipe, and my jaw dropped onto the computer... and i wanted to reach through the screen and eat them all up... but instead i warmed up my oven and got to mixing up some batter... and several minutes later... i had a plateful of these babies waiting for me... amazing...
doughnut recipe adapted from bakingdom:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon rum extract
*handful of blueberries, cut into halves
1. preheat the oven to 425 degree, and grease your doughnut pan and set aside
2. in large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt
3. in a large measuring cup, or a small bowl, lightly whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, rum extract, and butter... then add the mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined... *do not over mix or the donuts will be tough, and tough doughnuts suck!
4. fill each doughnut mold about half full with batter (an easy way to do this is to place the batter in a pastry bag fitted with a large open tip, and fill the pan this way... its easier, cleaner and the doughnuts basically end up the same size...
5. bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown at the edges... then let cool in pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack... cool before glazing
*as for the blueberry doughnuts, after i made 6 plain ol' butter rum ones, i added some blueberries to the leftover batter... and baked them up the same way
butter run doughnut glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream, plus more as needed
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
directions: in small bowl, whisk the sugar, cream, and extract together completely... if the glaze is too thick, add more milk, a small amount at a time, until the desired consistency is reached... then glaze away
these little devils were moist, cakey, with a slight crust on the outside... and addicting... oh, so addicting... deliciously sticky finger addicting...
enjoy the rest of your day... and as always, happy baking everyone :)